3.08.2013

The Next Big Thing: A Global Blog Tour




Hello!

I am participating in a global blog tour to bring awareness to authors and illustrators about their books.  A big thanks to the talented Maggie Smith for asking me to participate!

To answer these questions-


What is the working title of your latest book? 

The lastest book that I can talk about because it has already been released is Un Beso Antes De Dormir. Spanish for, A Kiss Before Bedtime.

Where did the idea come from for the book? 

I really only illustrated this book. Teresa Tellechea, the writer who is also the editor, was the one who came up with the idea.

What genre does your book fall under? 

Board book.


©copyright Alicia Padrón 2013


What actors would you choose to play the part of your characters in a movie rendition? 

That’s an interesting question! This book features babies kissing their mommies before going to sleep, so it would be lovely to have actresses playing themselves along with their babies. Since this board book has animals of all kinds living in their environments I would love for the actresses to be from all over the globe, in their native homes with their babies.

Juliette Binoche (France), Salma Hayek (Mexico) and Meryl Streep (US) come to mind.


What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? 

All kinds of baby animals gently kiss their mommies goodnight. 


©copyright Alicia Padrón 2013


Who is publishing your book? 

Ediciones SM. First Spain then Mexico.


How long did it take you to write the first draft of the manuscript? 

Teresa was in charge of that but I will answer this in the point of view of the illustrator. It took me about 2 weeks to roughly sketch these 10 spreads plus the cover.


What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? 

There are a large selection of goodnight books like Goodnight Moon, Goodnight Baby, to name a few.


Who or what inspired you to write this book? 

What inspired me to illustrate this was the fact that I’m a mom and the strong love and affection I feel for my kids. I’ve mentioned this before, I feel I wouldn’t illustrate the way I do, If I didn’t have children. Being a mom changed me to what I am today. This may sound a bit of an exaggeration to some, but seriously, I think the way I draw kids, babies (human or animals) and their parents are a reflection of how I feel.

©copyright Alicia Padrón 2013


What else about the book might pique the reader's interest? 

Well, here is a little secret.. I’m not sure I should say this but I know my editor Teresa wont mind, she is a sweetheart plus has complete trust in me for which I am forever grateful.

There is a tiny, little detail in one of the pages of the book that was drawn by my 11 year old daughter. She was thrilled to see the book come out with her own little illustration in it and I was even more delighted to see her face light up the first time she saw a printed copy. :o)

------------------

The Next Big Thing Blog Tour continues next Friday with:


the wonderful Jannie Ho 




Make sure to visit her and check out these new super adorable books.
I mean, just look at that mouse!! Hee.. too cute for words! :o)


6 comments:

martinealison said...

Je viens de passer un très agréable moment en admirant vos merveilleuses illustrations puis vos écrits qui font que j'apprends à vous connaître davantage.
Votre monde est un monde BEAU.
Gros bisous

J'ai beaucoup aimé lorsque vous avez dit que votre fille avait participé à vos dessins...

Alicia Padrón said...

Aww merci Martine! Will tell my daughter you thought so. :o)

Maggie Smith said...

alicia - your book looks so beautiful - i hope it will become available in the states some day. you are an inspiration in everything you do!

Alicia Padrón said...

Aw thanks so much Maggie. I love your work too! :o)

Marta tururú said...

Hola Alicia,

Y Feliz día del libro.

Te escribo para decirte que mi pizquilla adora el cuento y tus ilustraciones están más que besuqueadas por ella. Le encantan.

He pensado que mencionarte en mi página de Facebook sería una forma de darte las gracias por los momentos especiales que pasamos casi cada noche. https://www.facebook.com/x4duros

Un beso y de nuevo gracias

Alicia Padrón said...

Gracias Marta! Que linda sorpresa. Me encanta saber que tu chiquitita disfruta mi libro. Un abrazo!